Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Sisterhood

The word, sisterhood, it means so many things to me. It brings up all the sweet memories of growing up with my own sister. All the things we know about each other that you only share with a sibling. All the fights that inevitably occur as children and the way we become friends that would do anything for each other, even agree to disagree, because we are sisters. Sisterhood also means the women in my life that aren't siblings but still help paint the colors and contours that define me. I'm lucky to have so many amazing women in my life that make up my sisterhood. My mother, sister, grandmothers, aunts, and cousins all helped mold me as I was growing. They taught me how to be a mother, wife and friend. As I grew I relied so much on my girlfriends, they were my confidants, and partners in crime. Is there anything better than a sleepover with your best friend? Laughing all night to jokes no one else would even understand. If there is I haven't found it yet. I have carried that joy and love of life with me always. As a grown woman with so many responsibilities and stresses in life, I honestly don't know what I would do without my friends. They are there to listen to me vent, to kidnap me for a girls night when I need a break, to make me laugh and help me cry. I have all kinds of "sisters" in my life, we are different ages, have different backgrounds, and on the surface we are complete opposites. But that's why I need them all and am so thankful for each and everyone, because they all fulfill an essential piece of my being. We recently celebrated Women's day, and that meant so many things to me. It acknowledged the amazing contributions to society women have made and are continuing to make everyday, and it was also a chance to honor sisterhood. Without my "sisters" I would not be who I am today. I will always be eternally grateful for all the lessons I have learned and have yet to learn from my fellow women. It's nice to have special day to remind us, but I'm going to be thankful everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment