Monday, May 15, 2017

Balancing

Hello, It’s hard to believe that it has been almost 3 months since we’ve been in class together. I have had a little time to reflect and meditate on our time together and what it has meant to me. Perhaps the biggest lesson it taught me was balance; as sad as it was to say goodbye, it wouldn’t have been possible without first saying hello. Anything you received from me as a teacher I first got from you as a friend and student. The bottom line is it is all connected and more importantly we are all connected. No one lives in a vacuum, our lives are intermingled and we affect each other in the way we act and interact, the words we speak and the actions we take. Life is a series of holding on and letting go, of highs and lows, of hellos and goodbyes. A scenario I like to use in class is this: close your eyes and remember the happiest time of your life – Did it last? Were you able to hold on to that feeling forever? Of course not, now remember an incredibly sad time- Did it last forever? Again, your feelings eventually came back in balance. My teacher Ram Dass has a simple spiritual axiom that states “Be here now”, while that is a mantra to bring your mind to the present it has an underlying message of feel what you feel right now, in all its glory and all its pain because none of it is meant to last. You simply can’t stay static no matter how much you try. This doesn’t mean to forget your past or to dream of what may come, it serves as a reminder to not get stuck there, to not hold on to what had to change or what changes will come, The majority of our suffering in this life could be eliminated by being here, now – not regurgitating a past that can’t be changed or worrying about how things might play out (Here’s a hint- most things we fear never come to pass) So how do we apply these thoughts into everyday life? Won’t I seem cold if I don’t want to replay the past over and over when that is my normal reaction with someone? What about building a dream? How do I stay present when I have all these things going on in my head and what the heck is this everything is connected stuff? The beautiful thing is this…Don’t worry about any of it, it’s your natural state...Be Here Now...Present…Put your phone down…look around…listen…see…beauty abounds. When your mind starts to wander come back to your breath. You will naturally start to see the interconnection of all beings. It really is that simple. So what did our time together teach me? Of course another quote from Ram Dass sums it up better than I ever could – “I can do nothing for you but work on myself…You can do nothing for me but work on yourself” If we both can do that we will have changed the world together. Love and Light until we meet again, Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment