Thursday, June 15, 2017

Confession of an iPad Junkie

During our recent yoga vacation in Jamaica we had very limited internet. This may not be a problem to some but I'll admit I am addicted to my iPad and other electronics, which seem to be permanently attached to my hand. My iPad is the first thing I reach for in the morning and often the last thing I put down at night. I have it in my hands when I watch TV, often missing much of what I am watching, it is usually in front of me while I eat. Rather than practicing mindfulness during meal time and enjoying the taste and texture of my food, I often eat my meal without even noticing that I ate it. I'll admit, I even take it into the bathroom with me. I use the kindle App for my books and rarely pick up a real book anymore. I check Face Book and email several times per day, play games, and text message, sometimes incessantly. Oddly enough not having internet access in Jamaica was a welcome respite from my iPad. I found myself meditating more, reading a real book, journaling, breathing more fully, and enjoying my meals with full awareness, enjoying the taste and texture of the food. I spent time just enjoying the beautiful scenery and nature's abundance. I was more self aware and less attached to what was going on on Face Book and with others. I was able to focus on myself, turn inward, be introspective, mindful, and relaxed. Since returning home, I have made a conscious effort to meditate and sit in stillness each morning, commit to positive affirmations and self love before reaching for my iPad. I am also eating without my iPad in front of me and practicing mindfulness and gratitude while I eat. My week in Jamaica was good practice and a stepping stone to a future detached from my electronic devices. I even read a real book today. Yes I enjoy my iPad and other electronic devices but I am committed to make a conscious effort to unplug at least one day week. Hmm maybe just an hour or two a week is more honest and realistic. Its a beginning. By Michele Dorland

No comments:

Post a Comment